Sunday, November 19, 2006

Magical Starsign (DS)

Reviewed by Kit
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
So i said I'd write somethign that talked about all teh FF references in FFXII, but when I started it Wednesday, I couldn't find a good way to say it all, so I axed the idea. That also is why there was no review Wednesday. That being said, I also am having a bad weekend right now, so I want to get this review over with quickly. So without further ado, Magical Starsign.

Story: You are students at a magical academy. One day your beloved teacher is sent to a mission to the water planet. One of your friends decides to steal one of the rockets from the school to follow after her, and you being oh so brave decide to do the same. That is how it goes, you go from planet to planet finding more classmates who have chased after you in your search for you teacher. 3/5

Audio:
The music isn't bad, but it's repetitive and uninteresting at parts. 3/5

Graphics:
The graphics are cute, and the backgroudns are beautifully painted. It's nothing outstanding, but it suits the cute look that the game is trying to go for. Also there are occasionally FMV which are not bad for the DS. 4/5

Gameplay:
Like so many games, this is where things start to fall apart. Like much of the most recent DS games this is completely stylus. Sadly there is no logical reason for the developers to make it so. It is awkward moving around with the stylus, often you'll end up going in a different direction than you'll want, or you'll go the long way to get to the point. In battles you have to click the type of attack you'll do magic/physical (you'll use magic 90% of the time) then click the ability, then click the monster, then click confirm. It's tedious and unnecessary, a few clicks of the buttons would do the same thing. Random battles are boring, the dungeons are uninspired, and despite what you'll read in other reviews, the dialogue was not that humorous. Also, while you will get six characters in totak, they will each learn only 5 spells, so there isn't a large variety of abilities to watch. 3/5

Replay:
I wouldn't, but maybe you liked the game enoguh to play it again and again. 2/5

Overall:
The game isn't bad, but I think the biggest problem is the stylus. I'd be much more forgiving if there was a reason I had to use that thing. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the stylus, I just don't want to have to use it all the time, especially for games where it's not necessary. If i'm not drawing something or shaping someting (ala Cooking Mama) I don't want to have pull that thing out and drag it around the screen. Besides that, the plot is clumsy, the characters are ok but not outstanding, and the small variety of spells is lamentable. If you must pick it up, pick it up for someone of the younger generation, i.e. someone under 13. Otherwise, I'd wait for something else. 3/5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home