Thursday, July 20, 2006

Kit's Rant #3

Hello one and all. Currently I'm out of town, spending time with the family. Who know they would be so kind as to bring a laptop for my use with them. Anyway, let's get on to what I want to talk about tonight. That would be G4. This is a TV station that I have never watched because I've never gotten it before. Who would have guessed it would be part of basic cable here? I mean, we don't even get USA. But that's not the point. The point is that I've been watching this station that I thought was all about videogames. I was wrong. There are only a few shows about games, and those aren't great. From what I've seen, only three shows are that interesting: Cinematech (videogame trailers), X-play (game review show), and Star Trek 2.0 (Star Trek with web interaction). I am also somewhat interested in their coverage of Comic-Con, I'm hoping they'll show some of the web comic authors.

My rant today would be about X-Play. They were reviewing Legend of Heroes 2 for the PSP. They're main dislike about the game was the graphics. They felt that, though it was a remake of an older game, the graphics should have been beefed up for today's capabilities. Now, I know that graphics today can be outstanding, but they should not be the aspect that makes or breaks the game. We should all know that better graphics does not mean better quality (FFX-2 vs FFVII, Xenosage vs Xenogears, Star Wars 1 2 & 3 vs Star Wars 4 5 & 6). If the nice people had had better arguments for the failing of the game than poor graphics and strange monster names (poison squirrels, how cute is that!) than I wouldn't be so upset. But to denounce a game for its graphic capabilities, I find that extremely annoying. So that would be my rant today. X-Play, graphics are not the game.

On that note, I'd like to mention Cinematech a bit more. It is basically a show that runs trailers with no hosts or anything (no stupid people acting like they know something). Watching it I saw a trailer for a SNES Enix game that I had never heard of before that looked very cute. Also I saw a trailer for the greatest zombie game ever (at least it looekd like it). This game was called Dead Rising, and it will be out for the 360 in a few months. While there are tons of zombei game out there, none looked as great as this. Anything, and from what I could see, I mean anything can be used as a weapon. I saw the protagonist cut zombies in half with garden shears, swatting at them with a cactus, and throw melons at them. Now, I can't saw if this will be a good game or not, but so far it looks very entertaining.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

!!!

I work on Cinematech so it's great to hear that you liked that episode. Let me know if you are trying to hunt down the titles of any of the games you saw.

I have a soft spot for old Enix RPGs, thats why those cute ones ended up on the show ;)

7/21/2006 6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The way that people degrade video games into nothing just because the character's head is deformed suddenly makes it a bad game. Yes, I buy every single game for graphics.

Sarcasm aside, I'm not picky when it comes to graphics. Hell, I still play pong every now and then. Point being that you are correct in every aspect.

Also, people say the fact that originality is suddenly decreasing. This is nothing related to the graphics debacle but it's just as bad if not worse. I'm all for originality but please, for god's sake, make it good and not something I can throw out the window in sheer distaste. Why do you go to the same restaurant over and over again? Because you know the food is good and yet 'it's the same thing' GASP! Just like food and movies, video games using original formulas is a good thing. Why? Whenever a developer tries something new, it tends to, fall apart (aka FFX-2) now this isn't always the case (aka Metroid Prime) but it's better to go with what works. What about football plays? They make a play and if it works they do it again until it doesn't work. Then they try something else. It's called TRIAL AND ERROR...Dun Dun Duuuuuuun.

Sorry for my long post but if anyone would like to prove me wrong, go right ahead.

7/30/2006 7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home