Saturday, December 08, 2007

Kit's Thoughts

I probably should call this Kit's Rant #whatever, but I can't remember what rant I'm on. Besides, it's mostly thoughts than yelling at anyone person.


I've been reading a lot lately about Lost Odyssey. Not as much as some of you I'm sure, but enoguh to notice a trend. First, let's talk about a brief blurb on this game. It's an up and coming game by Mistwalker studios which will make use of the unreal engine. For those of you not aware, Mistwalker is compromised of what I'd like to think of as the best of the old school game designers. Their first game on the 360 was Blue Dragon.


So, what do I have to say about this? Well, I haven't played the game as we're not famous enough to get to preview these games. Common trend I've seen in previews have been discussion on the cinematics, turn-based battle, and the story line. One preview spent a lot of time comparing Lost Odyssey to the Final Fantasy series, going into how exactly like FF it is, from the turn based battle system to the fact there are air ships...because no other game has ever used airships....certainly not a game like Skies of Arcadia, or something. Comparison with FF aside, if you're an RPG you can't escape being compared to FF no matter what you do. Be different and you're breakin away from the FF formula, be the same and you're just a FF clone. Let's move on to the cinematics discussion. I heard that the game has 40 hrs of cinematics. One preview marks this as a good thing, all beautiful and story driven, etc etc. Another one matches my own view on cinematics, surethey're nice, but i'd rather not have one every time i step out of battle. This trend towards long cinematics, or frequent cinematics annoys me because I want to play a game, not watch a movie.


ok, I've lost my train of thought, but My points are in there, somwhwere. People need to stop comparing Mistwalker games to Final Fantasy. People need to stop making games that are more movies than actual gameplay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home